Saturday, November 8, 2014

Mayborn Museum: A Great Family Afternoon



Today my family and I went on one of our weekend family outings. At my husband’s request we went to the Mayborn Museum on the Baylor University Campus in Waco, Texas. I have to admit I wasn’t to thrilled to be going as I am not a museum person, and I didn’t think it would hold the attention of our 1 and 2 year olds. WOW! Was I wrong!

This is one of the better child-focused Museum’s that we have been to lately.  It is not one of the largest places, but don’t let that fool you. We spent 3 hours there and we only saw half of the exhibits. We decided to start our journey off on the Left side of the Musuem, or the Discovery side. This is where they have all of the interactive exhibits for the kids. Unlike the Austin Children’s Musuem, the Discovery exhibits were perfect for younger children ages 12 months – 5 years old.


My children were more interested in the exhibits on the second floor. They absolutely loved the transportation and the music room! I think we spent a good 35 minutes in the Transportation room just having them run back and forth between the School Bus and the Fire Engine.  They also thought the floor piano in the music room was fun. They would run from one side to the other amazing by the sounds that were coming out as they stepped.


They had other Discovery exhibits that focused on trains, water, the body, the west, a sensory room, fish and reptiles, dress up, and a little play town. On the other side of the museum, which we didn’t even get to see due to sleepy kids, they have the Waco at the Crossroads of Texas, Strecker’s Cabinets of Curiosities, and a Historic Village consisting of 9 wood frame buildings. 


Not only is this a great place for a family outing, it is also very reasonably priced.

General Admission
Adults: $6.00
Children (18 months to 12 years old): $4.00
Seniors: $5.00

Traveling Exhibit Admission
Adults $10.00
Children (18 months to 12 years old): $5.00
Seniors: $9.00

For Active Military they offer a discount. With Military ID you can get in FREE plus $1.00 off all the other people in your party.  For our family, my husband got in for FREE, my daughter FREE, my son for $3.00, and myself for $5.00. We got a day of fun for only $8.00.  It doesn’t get better than that!

Here are the Museum Hours:
Monday – Saturday
10:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sunday
1:00 AM to 5:00PM
With the Historic Village closing daily at 4:00PM

They are Closed On Game Day:
Saturday, November 1, 2014
Saturday, November 22, 2014
Saturday, December 6, 2014

If you have ever been there I would love to hear what your favorite part is! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS